Monday, August 27, 2007

Young Grasshopper

I remember years ago in Sunday School the teacher said "when we ask God for patience, what we are really asking is for God to bring difficult things in our life to test our patience". That has always stuck with me. So each time I pray and I ask for more patience I almost hesitate thinking "ok Lord what as I REALLY asking for here? and will I be ready for it?"

This morning my co-worker was showing me her new plant and asking me how to take care of it. Everyone thinks I'm this plant lady. I simpley read the instructions on the side of the flower pot. At that point she noticed a cricket was sitting on one on the leaves and she freaked out. I gently cupped the cricket in my hand then took it outside and released it. I'm not even sure if there is some kind of message in all of that or what. But the incident just popped in my mind. I'm really feeling at peace today. I've feeling more optimistic about my near future. I've been planning and following through. So I'm sure that has something to do with the good vibes.

I've also been reading my bible. My Lil Prince has a children's bible that he likes to read out of lately. Last nite the passage he picked out really spoke to me. It was something I've read before and sort of lost site of it.

Matthew 5:43-48 (New International Version)
Love for Enemies
43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.


and Matthew 6:1-8
Giving to the Needy
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Prayer
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

I do what I do not for acceptance or praise from other people. But for God. I need to remember that. Not that I've been attention seeking or anything like that. But I have been worried about what other people may think of me lately. And that worry is uneccessary because it really doesn't matter what other people think. I answer to my Creator.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this makes me think of thise sorta new relationship i have with the little creatures that find their way into my apt....ladybugs, some black flying things, and other bugs....

in the past i would just squash 'em (not the ladybugs, though...they're too cute) dead no question asked. but time after time i see some crawling on the windows like, "i can see outside, but i just can't get there." so now i'll open the window or trap 'em in a container and let 'em out. they just wanna be free.

i have a pet ladybug that's been flying and crawling around in here for over a week. i know i should let her out, but i like her and i'm being selfish right now. :-/

laniza said...

Hey, lady. I've been silently reading along. I'm glad to see that you're blogging again. I haven't picked up a bible in a long time, however, those verses were always some of my favorites. I really have to get on the grind spiritually.

Peace, sis